- We are back to the full 6 residents covering Surg Path
- On Friday, June 2nd: please finish signining out early and come to the gross room to start at 3pm and do as much as possible before 5pm. At that point, anything left over will be done on Saturday morning, during which there will be 4, instead of the usual 2, residents clearing everything.
- Check out the service rotation schedule closely if you haven't been on in a few months.
- Please discuss with the PAs around 5 pm to see how many people need to be called back to assist.
- The team helping us set up the new and improved Dragon will be starting this month.
- Cytology accessioning/prep is now in the gross room. Charlene and Ghazal share an office.
- Techs are being cross-trained between Cytology and Gross Room, so please be mindful / patient.
- Biopsies are grossed by PAs and techs. Residents, this means your routine / large specimen volume will increase.
- The old scale by the where Decal used to be is now in the middle of the gross room by the pole behind the frozen cutting machines
- Decal is now located in the middle of the grossing stations.
Tips (to help be more efficient)
- When you are grossing, please gross things that will be submitted for histology that night before you do anything else, which means putting off all the "gross only," specimens that need to be decaled, etc. until after the histology pick-up time.
- When you are triaging, please do not feel the need to write sentences and describe everything that you see; If you are, you might as well gross it. Especially if you're busy, take a good (emphasis on good) picture and all necessary measurements and whatever sections need to be taken fresh and move on. The grosser can look at the pictures you took to describe the fresh colors.
- When you are doing bone marrows at 5:15 and you have multiple that need to start decaling in 15 minutes, you can measure them and write themeasurement on the corresponding sheet; dictate them in later after you place them in decal. (Just be careful and do not mix up specimens!)
- Gross as many appropriate things fresh if you can. Ask a PA or attending if you are uncertain.
- Please keep things clean and professional; it keeps the workplace safe and people happy!