- Our first years have finished their first month of surgical pathology training; their responsibilities will now be increased:
- Two bigs per day will be assigned for grossing; please try to have those grossed by the 4 pm Bigs run. At the latest by 5 pm, so that you are available to help out in the gross room if needed. 7 pm is the latest you should have those grossed - there will be days where you are otherwise busy, but these days should be the exception rather than the rule.
- The rest of the the first week of this month, the triage resident will be Shiraz, but the subsequent 3 weeks will be first years. This also means that for most of the time, the "backup" (Breast) grosser will also be a first year. Please consult with the PAs to see if you need to call back extra help at the end of the day.
- Don't forget that at the end of the week, it is your responsibility to transfer leftover cases to the next week's resident and attending (these are cases that you are not already signing out with your attending).
- Please keep your grossing stations clean when you finish. Also, please do not unscrew the screw that holds the trim blade in place completely and if you do, re-tighten them after you remove the blade, as these screws are extremely expensive to replace and many have been lost in the last three weeks.
- GI Service A and B are being more defined now. At the beginning of each day, the resident on service will transfer over 10 random GI/routines cases (don't pick and choose, please) to Service B. This number will increase to 15 random cases on Mondays to account for the increased weekend traffic. All bigs will automatically go to Service B unless the specimen was grossed by the resident on service. You are not judged negatively when you hand these cases off; this is the expectation.
- If you are able to easily handle the Service A workload, you may feel free to preview the Service B cases as well and sign them out with the GI B attending. This way, you don't have to pass off additional learning opportunities if you can handle it.
- Dr. Cipriani will be gone the week of 08/07 and the week of 08/14. During the first week of her absence, please sign out thyroids/parathyroids with Dr. Antic; during the second week, please sign out these specimens with Dr. Mueller.