Triage & Gross
- These specimens should be grossed the same day they are received.
- Please wait until after all other work is done before working on gross-only specimens.
- Some gross-only specimens require photographs; others do not. These specimens are listed on the right. Please consult the Photography page for additional tips on good Photography!
- Do not put formalin on any cardiac related hardware. See a PA or AP Tech if you have questions.
- Measure and describe the pieces, being sure to dictate any alphanumeric markings present on the objects.
- In the event that significant amounts of soft tissue are present, consider submitting for histologic examination.
- If there are no additional parts for which histology is submitted, please remember to enter the Final Diagnosis into CoPath and send the case to the Attending's worklist:
- Surgical hardware (gross examination only).
- Foreign object (gross examination only).